Saturday, April 18, 2020

Publishing Slowdown

It's past time we got back to the original business of publishing - so I've been advised. While my personal interests still sit with oceans, whales and the JUST ONE THING Alliance, I've been reminded that we have a plethora of award-winning titles that are beginning to languish due to my divided loyalties.

First off, book sales are surprisingly down. I thought sales would remain pretty good since most people are housebound. I pictured people reading in the long quiet evenings. Not so much, it seems. Perhaps it's the expense - few good books are free. Even Kindle charges add up quickly and there are other expenses people must take care of before indulging in their leisure habits.

That being said, although our sales are slower, they do continue. Of particular interest is Casey Tibbs, Born to Ride (Rusty Richards), Developing the Art of Equine Communication (C.L. Lee Anderson), A Beginner's Guide to Owning a Mule (Becky Coffield) and Some Gave All (J.R. Sanders). These titles just keep chugging along! Note that they are ALL nonfiction works.

J.R. Sanders recently posted a YouTube video of Some Gave All  that is positively inspiring! What a great job. You can see for yourself at https://bit.ly/3eyPCL1. It's totally awesome!

In other news...our new house caught fire, and my mule Reba launched me into outer orbit. I landed on rocks on  my head, face and left ribs. Fortunately I was wearing a helmet - something I rarely do. My mule is a big, strong girl, and I was no challenge for her in keeping my seat. Why she did this, I have NO IDEA. It wasn't windy, too hot, or too cold. There were no bees, mosquitoes, or other scary things (like cows) around. Unfortunately, once a mule or horse gets away with this, they are inclined to do it again, so sadly Reba and I have parted ways. I found an experienced, excellent owner...AND RIDER...for her. I'm too old to be hurled onto rocks. I had to walk 1.9 miles home from this traumatizing episode and spend 6 hours in an emergency room. Enough.

On the bright side, I can now spend more of my free time rowing and competing in the "senior" divisions. (When did I get to be a "senior"??) Once my ribs and broken finger heal, I'll be raring to go - wild horses can't hold me back - so the saying goes. It's taking all my will power not to rush off to the lake and start rowing now that the weather is good. My ribs would rebel, however - this I have learned the hard way.

We've postponed a new publication until 2021. Hopefully Renee and Jered might be back and I'll be ready to get very serious about publishing again. Meanwhile, one of us will continue our posts!








No comments:

Post a Comment