Friday, November 16, 2018

It's OFFICIALLY OFFICIAL: Moonlight Mesa says no more westerns - for now anyway

It's been a long struggle...but I'm pretty sure it's finally over. (Have I said this before? and before?)

After careful analysis of our sales from all external sources over the past three years, it's blatantly, undeniably, incredibly clear that Ingram, Smashwords, Kindle and other vendors send out/sell more nonfiction titles than fiction titles. Actually Kindle sends out next to no books nowadays. Guess we better work on that...or not.

However, when we attend events we sell more fiction than nonfiction, at least at this time. That may change once we have our "ocean" section of our booth set up.

This brings me to mention a BAD decision we recently made...actually I made. Despite being signed up for a local event, I cancelled and attended a week-long trail ride fundraiser for the local hospital. Originally I cancelled the sales event because I thought we'd be attending a family wedding in Oregon, but when that got cancelled (no surprise there, really) we opted to attend the Amigos del Hospital Trail Ride which raises money for the hospital. So...why was this bad? Besides loss of significant revenue?

Let's just say I think, no I KNOW, I made more enemies than friends at this event. That's hard to do when a person is SOBER. And since I seldom drink that's what occurred. Well, I guess they won't be buying our books.


SAVING OUR OCEANS


Work has resumed on Saving Our Oceans.  We got very side-tracked for over a month trying to get a new website functional, but we are back at it again. May still looks like a good month for the release of the book.

www.westernswhalesandoceans.com is finally getting some visitors! I'm not saying we're feeling desperate, but we are feeling a pinch to get things moving.

I do have great confidence, however, in our new direction. People who buy our books or read our blogs need to remember that we are interested in all nonfiction that fits our abilities to sell. We aren't going exclusively "OCEAN/WHALE". It may seem like that now, but once Lee Anderson sends his manuscript, we'll have other things to discuss.

We have turned down several nonfiction queries in the last couple of months (yoga topic, drug abuse topic and a few others). If we can't do justice to the author and the subject, we can't in all good conscience accept the project.


FINALLY:

The 2019 Mule Ride we organize and sponsor may be our last. Too much time, money, and energy goes into this event. We'll make a final decision after this year's event.

No comments:

Post a Comment