Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Publishing Changes Now Underway

Good grief! Horror of horrors! Every publisher's nightmare!

WEBSITE BLUES

I can't believe the snafu that happened on our webpage that I only discovered yesterday. What is really disappointing, is that NO ONE told me about it, or questioned it, and it's been months.  Of course, it shows we are not enamored of working on the website. Our bad. But this makes me wonder if anyone even looks at the website! Unfortunately, the website had to be renewed, so there went several hundred dollars. I'm questioning whether it's  all that helpful in selling books. Most of our books are sent out by Amazon and a few vendors who buy from Ingram.

I worked until late last night trying to straighten things out. This is a major accomplishment. I am not a techie and have no patience or interest with this kind of stuff. I know this, though: I will not continue to use register.com. They now have it so I can't upload photos that I can add a link to. I have to more or less go through the back door to get book covers onto my site. They would like me to upgrade to a more expensive platform I guess. Ain't gonna happen. Okay, time to move on.

Oh, I did delete a few pages on the site and added a New Releases page. I like that!


GOOD NEWS

We finally threw in the towel after weeks and weeks of struggling with color photo issues for The Old Folks in the Boat. Against my designer's wishes, I made the photos grayscale...and they look GREAT. In fact, I think I like them better than the color! (My cover man confessed he did too.) We are now in the final proofreading stage of this publication. At this point it's nit-picking more than anything else. A word here, a word there.

The back cover remains a mystery at this time. To add blurbs or not to add blurbs, that is the question.

We have no endorsements or reviews. Crap. I do not have time to send copies out. We need this book out and NOW.  Advance copies will be sent to several outlets, however. The book will be available from Moonlight Mesa but will not be formally released until the Seattle Boat Show in January.

Marketing is woefully behind. I'm not sure what I've been doing, but apparently it's not been working. OH! I've been rowing.


IT'S NOW OFFICIAL

It's now official. Moonlight Mesa is no longer accepting fiction submissions. Whew. That was hard to put on paper. And, of all times, we received two fantastic queries in September that normally we would have snatched up, but we are committed to changing course. Part of this stems from the decision to relocate to the San Juan Islands as soon as possible, which will likely be in late 2018 or 2019. I don't think westerns are a good fit for the area. We will, of course, keep all our westerns in print and maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised.


FINAL 2017 PUBLICATION

A Beginner's Guide to Owning a Mule will be sent to the printer late this year and officially released in January 2018. It is our final project for 2017.  After much discussion, the decision has been made to release the book in  hard copy first and maybe later as an ebook. 

This book is a wild card for us. The audience is extremely small - we know that. But we couldn't resist the temptation to try it anyway. We had tremendous success with the herpes book we published (Getting a Handle on Herpes) that we had virtually no expectation for, so we're gambling again.

We've changed the format to keep the price DOWN. That'll help.
We'll see how this goes.

Until next time...












No comments:

Post a Comment