Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Ready, Set, ROW!

Very shortly, publisher Becky Coffield will be leaving on a rowing expedition...well, sort of an expedition...in order to finish The Old Folks in the Boat, the publisher's forthcoming book, and the only publication for Moonlight Mesa Associates in 2016.

Vin Libassi is working on the new cover
"We'll be leaving for the Inside Passage for a two month trip where I hope to row in a new bay or anchorage every day," Coffield said. "Unfortunately, because of the 'tenderness' of the rowing shell I'm taking, I won't be able to row in wide-open waterways and straits. A better rower might be able to do so, and there are days where I possibly could, but I'm not counting on it."

Coffield is not sure how far north she'll get this year, but she would like to make Blind Channel and possibly into the Broughton Islands. "So much depends on the weather," Coffield said. "I don't mind rowing in the rain, but I don't like rowing if it's too windy."

Originally the author had planned to "Row the West" - meaning lakes at numerous western destinations. Coffield and her husband were going to take their wherry and camping gear, and make a summer of rowing. "On our trial run to Lake Havasu, it came roaring back to me how much I am unsuited for tent camping," Coffield said, "especially when it's for a long duration! Not to mention, I really don't like hot weather. The northwest (Puget Sound and Inside Passage) is much cooler and more to my liking."

Coffield plans on ultimately journeying (by boat) to Alaska and rowing there. "I definitely want to row in Skagway," she said. "I also plan on rowing along the west coast of Vancouver Island. Hopefully I'll be able to do a book on these adventures also."

The author and her husband will be traveling on their Nordic Tug 26, WILD! Because the wherry is much too large to transport on the tug, Coffield will be rowing a smaller shell.

Moonlight Mesa Associates, Western Book Publisher, will be closed from July 15 to September 30, while Coffield rows and employees scatter to their summer destinations.


COWBOY UP CONTEST UPDATE

The rules and entry form for the 2017 Cowboy Up Contest have been posted on Moonlight Mesa's website: www.moonlightmesaassociates.com. Entries may be submitted between January 1, 2017, and May 1, 2017. The contest is open to both fiction and nonfiction western work.


WANTED:  WESTERN NONFICTION

"We are seriously looking for western nonfiction," Coffield said yet again. "We are not accepting fiction at this time, but we are definitely in the market for western nonfiction. If you have a nonfiction work you'd like to submit, go to our website and send us an email. Someone here, either Tom, Ben, Jered, Renee, or myself will get back to you as soon as we can. We will even consider nonfiction that's not western!"






1 comment: