Thursday, December 23, 2010

Saying Goodbye to 2010 and Hello to 2011



"Publication wise, 2010 was one of our best years," said Becky Coffield, Moonlight Mesa Associates publisher. "We had a great year overall, although I will admit it was one filled with its share of mistakes and stress. I can now say, 'Been there, done that.' All I can say is, I did the very best job that I could. I gave it everything I had. My editor, Paula Silici, gave it her all, and my book cover dude did a tremendous job."

Coffield maintains that 2010 was the end of the Arts and Craft Shows for the company. "We did several, and we did well, but I think we're ready to move on," she said. "I'm not saying we won't ever do a Craft show again, but I'm seriously doubting we will. I'd have to be awfully bored, put it that way."

2010 saw the company's first hardbound book, Casey Tibbs - Born to Ride, come out, printed by Bang Printing in Minnesota. "We'll definitely do business with Bang again," said Coffield. "We'll probably use them for J.R. Sanders' next publication, Some Gave All. I'm also thinking I may bundle the Jere D. James books and do a one volume trilogy. That's a ways off yet, particularly since the third book is as yet unwritten!"

2010 saw Moonlight Mesa run the company's first magazine ad for the Casey Tibbs biography. "We ran our first ad in True West. It paid off handsomely. I'm not so sure about the other magazines we advertised in, unfortunately," the publisher said. "I'd do True West again if they'd ever give us a book review."

2010 saw one of the company's new publications win an award. The Littlest Wrangler won in the Arizona Author's Literary Contest, and the publisher expects at least one more win for it. She's planning seriously on Casey Tibbs winning some awards in 2011 also.

2010 saw Jere D. James' Saving Tom Black and Apache begin selling in the U.K. Saving Tom Black's sales continued to be terrific for Moonlight Mesa.

2010 saw the publisher launch 5 titles on Kindle.

2010 saw the company buy a new three horse slant horsetrailer in which to travel to events for book sales. The publisher maintains the trailer, named "Plain Jane," is like the Taj Mahal compared to the camper.



2011 PUBLICATIONS

As for 2011, there will be five new publications:

January 2011: Award-Winning Tales (anthology)

February 2011: A Way in the Wilderness by Paula L. Silici, Western Romance

Marchish 2011: Northern Conspiracy (The Thomas Bay Murders) by R.L. Coffield (the missing middle Ben Thomas Trilogy book).

Summer 2011: Some Gave All by J.R. Sanders, Western Nonfiction

Fall 2011: Canyon of Death by Jere D. James. Western Fiction. The final book in the Jake Silver Adventures Trilogy...or is it?


COWBOY UP CONTEST WILL BE A THRILLER!

The third annual Cowboy Up Short Story Contest will be a thriller in 2011, as all stories must be a Western suspense/thriller/mystery, etc. The contest is set to open March 1 and run through September 1. Cash prizes for the top three winners.


LOOKING BACK, AND LOOKING AHEAD

"Overall, I'd say that 2010 was just a super year for our company, and I have no doubt that 2011 will be every bit as good. We have some major events planned, and we have some terrific new titles coming out. We're thankful for our success this past year, and we're excited and hopeful about the upcoming year," Coffield said.


Renee Witty

No comments:

Post a Comment