Sunday, December 6, 2009

Moonlight Mesa Associates In an Uproar!


Moonlight Mesa Associates, Inc. is ending 2009 in an uproar - both good and bad.

For starters, the fledgling publishing company has had its best year ever for sales, exceeding the publisher's goal by over $2000. "I'm exhausted," said publisher Becky Coffield. "I've got to find an easier way to market books than for me to be hauling my ass out there every weekend setting up a tent. I've about had it! I'm glad I made good sales, but enough is enough!"

The publisher will be doing only one event per month in 2010, but plans on doing LARGE events. So far the publisher has earmarked Wickenburg Gold Rush Days for February and Scottsdale's Festival of the West for March. She has a rodeo scheduled in April.

Changes in the publishing calendar are also forthcoming: Jere D. James' Apache will be issued in early March, as will JR Sanders' The Littlest Wrangler. "These two books are givens. I'm not sure how much more we can handle right now. I will be working on Rusty Richards' biography of Casey Tibbs, but I don't know if I can have it ready in 2010 or not," said Coffield. "I may subcontract out a lot of the work. We'll see what happens as we go along."

The First Annual Cowboy Up Short Story Contest is now closed, and semi-finalists will be posted this week; finalists will be posted next week, and hopefully cash prize winners will be announced the week of December 22. "I loved having the contest, but honestly, it was SO MUCH WORK. The stories are just terrific. Picking a winner is very, very difficult. All stories have been read 4 times. We'll be re-reading the top finalists using a different scoring guide for the final read. I just want to be fair," said Coffield. "The readers have done an excellent job and really taken this activity very seriously. The entries deserve our every consideration."

Moonlight Mesa is no longer accepting book queries until further notice. "We're inundated. I just need some time off," Coffield said.

Here's to a bigger and better 2010!

No comments:

Post a Comment